Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Magic of New Atlantis

Atlantis – I was magically hooked the first time I heard that name spoken for one of the mythical lost continents, before Donovan’s mystic radiant song, Atlantis, burst onto the scene – at around the age of fourteen.
Atlantis -- it was as if an ethereal burst of stars lit up my insides and glowed in my eyes. I read everything I could find on the antediluvian land Plato spoke about, as a high spiritual and technological civilization lost to a catastrophic deluge. This included the references made to Atlantis by the American Prophet, Edgar Cayce, in his readings. Through the years Atlantis has always haunted me, the seductive ghost remaining beside me. Yes, I have continued studying, researching and listening to those experts in varied disciplines, from hard science to psychic channeling, who have accomplished the most spectacular presentations of the truth – that, indeed, Atlantis did exist. And was the progenitor of many ancient civilizations, Egypt being the most popular and the most recognized.
While I have not studied every tome written on Atlantis, nor am I fanatically researching the last tiny detail put forth, I have let this legendary land and time live within me and live in my imagination. In several lucid dreams I have lived in Atlantis – another life time? I believe so.
I was so fiercely enchanted with Atlantis and it’s terrible demise, that I wrote a short story about the last day on Atlantis as it explodes, then collapses into the ocean. This was for a creative writing class in Junior College (mid 1970's). Never did I dream writing a fictional story about this world-shaking event in our pre-history would end up becoming a lasting scar on my writer’s psyche.
My story was all set to be published in the college literary magazine when I was suddenly informed that would not be happening. Stunned beyond any pain I can express here, I was told I’d plagiarized the story. A bit hard to do, since I hadn’t read anything for several years – you know, with all that reading for college classes.
Nope, I simply wrote the story without any other book on Atlantis, fiction or non-fiction, in front of me. Yep, all in my very own little words. I never was able to convince anyone of that truth, at that time. I even asked to be shown what book I had plagiarized. It never was produced by anyone involved.
May I say, as I write this blog, I realize revenge can be sweet. Indeed, deliciously sweet. Although, revenge was the last thing pouring out of me, out of my imagination, as I wrote about the future rise of Atlantis and the love story between Kalypso and Zhryphus.
No, New Atlantis poured out of my soul, out of my wildest heart – out of my unsinkable Spirit.
With the benefit of hindsight, I believe writing a story about Atlantis rising was inescapable and is, if I am courageously honest with myself, part of my destiny.
My American Title IV entry, Murder by Hair Spray in Gardenia, New Atlantis – spun and formed in my imagination, turbulent as a sea storm – then sprang forth onto paper and onto my computer screen like Poseidon’s powerful emergence from the ocean.
Below is what you would have seen, had I not met my contest ‘demise’, and yes, Flavia darling, that includes my endless first line.
Is this a good time to congratulate Holli, Trish, Mai and Helen, for their powerful rise in the American Title IV competition? Congratulations, Title Magician buddies!
If you haven’t had the reading pleasure yet, click on over to the Romantic Times website. Indulge your paranormal senses, then vote.


Murder by Hair Spray in Gardenia, New Atlantis
by Savanna Kougar


First Line:
The evil cloud of hair spray dominated the air in guest room 666 at Gardenia’s only motel, The Eternal Magnolia – so named because it was surrounded by a park-like acre of Magnolia trees, saved despite the cataclysmic weather, wars and land changes on Earth.

Heroine and Hero:
Sheriff Kalypso Sun Wing is 100 years old in the year 2051. A rebel at heart, an artist by soul, she survived the sterile fifties’ suburbs, the revolutionary turbulence of the sixties, the disco guru seventies. After the suicide of the man she loved, Kalypso barely survived the designer eighties, the fast-forward nineties. In the 21st century Mother Nature rebelled. Kalypso battled for freedom. She never knew why she survived. Until Atlantis rose. Once again.
Agent Zryphus Dolen Vasquoz chose an enforcement career on Earth for several reasons – his fascination with primitive worlds, to make his own way outside the family heritage, to keep official watch for his own Worlds – and, Zerculeon men find Earth women highly desirable, like the gods of old they rival in strength. Since there aren’t enough Zerculeon women, it’s a match made in intergalactic heaven. Especially when Zryphus gets a real eyeful of the Sheriff.
Story Summary:
In 2051, murder is rare in New Atlantis. The risen land of the antediluvian empire, Atlantis, is now a sovereign land colonized by freedom fighters from the former USA, survivors of the Conflicts fought against the New World Order’s attempt to openly rule the world. A Jackie O look-alike is murdered inside her Gardenia, New Atlantis motel room. To Sheriff Kalypso Sun Wing it looks like the horrific work of a serial killer from the Federal Union, the Hair Spray Killer, his unlucky thirteenth victim. In a gesture of cooperation she invites the Federal Union Agent in charge of the case, Zryphus Dolen Vasquoz, to assist her in the investigation. Arrogantly, Agent Vasquoz assumes he will be taking over, a notion smashed by the Sheriff. After all, she’s in charge and women run New Atlantis. The battle of the sexes sizzles between them immediately. Zryphus has found the woman he wants to marry. Kalypso has sworn off men forever. Since the protection of citizens is her highest priority, she needs his help to swiftly capture the notorious Hair Spray Killer, a chihuahua shifter – and help her figure out who wants the diary Jackie O may have been murdered over – a newly found diary written by Jacqueline Kennedy during her White House years. When the Hair Spray Killer comes after Kalypso, Zryphus won’t let her out of his sight or their bed. However, the hidden group pulling the Killer Chihuahua’s strings, wants New Atlantis under their thumb – using every necessary evil.
Dialogue Scene:

"Why the nice treatment, Zryphus? I was dirt under your shoes when you first arrived?" Sheriff Kalypso picked up the mascara wand. "Black, black. Just like I remember."
"Sheriff," Deputy Anna called out, "finished the personal item scan. Got the body ready for transport. We’re on our way. I’ll leave the door open. Keep airing the room out."
"Thanks, Anna. You know where I am." Kalypso picked up a compact case – solid rich elegance in design. Opening it, she studied the pasty covering. "Looks real. But I never used this stuff. Couldn’t stand it. Used the sheer version they came out with – when I used makeup. – You haven’t answered my question, Zryphus."
"Bluntly, Kalypso...I want you in my bed."
Placing the compact case down delicately, Kalypso absorbed the shock. "No, I don’t think so," she slowly enunciated.
"Have a lover?" Zryphus handed her the powder case.
"None of your business, as they used to say. – Looks real. Mind if I test it with my finger?"
"Please. – You don’t have a lover. Neither do I."
"Probably because you’re married or in a committed partnership. Or you just ended an affair – something like that. No!" Kalypso shifted gears. "Feels real, smells real. Are you aware of a company, or maybe a small business that creates these replica products?"
"Three, to be exact. Can’t tell where these originated. – I’m a one woman man, Kalypso. You’d have all my attention."
"No thanks. I politely decline. – Eyelash curler. Never used one. Always looked barbaric. – Brow tweezers. Unfortunately tried this a few times. Way too painful."
"I’ll convince you. – What’s this?"
"Eyebrow darkening powder. – No, you won’t. I don’t like men when it comes to relationship crap. Perhaps you don’t know much about our social structure here. Women rule."
"I dominate in bed. In our passionate relationship."
**********
Mystery o’ great mystery of life, Magicians All, once again, my past collides with my present. My starry-eyed fascination with Atlantis collides with my land-risen futuristic world of New Atlantis. Yes, I admit it, the magic of New Atlantis continues the magical spell cast over me, the instant I heard the name, Atlantis.
Sparkles, our resident fairy, is waving her purple sparkly wand around powerfully these days. A flashing huge poof! And Proof. Congratulations to Anitra for The Call.

7 comments:

Mel Hiers said...

You have an Anna, too! :-) I enjoyed your scene, Sav.

Holli Bertram said...

Thanks for sharing your entry, Savanna! I'm sorry to hear about your experience in college - sounds extremely painful.

I'm struck by your passion about Atlantis. I once saw a painting that I had an immediate connection to of a place in France. I thought about if for years. Made me wonder about reincarnation...

Anitra Lynn McLeod said...

Thanks for the shout-out about "The Call" Sav! What I like about your story is that you've taken a "feel" of each decade (like the 50's, 60's, etc) and blended them into a futuristic. It's a unique idea that gives the story relevance for anyone from 18-80. I'm thinking once All Shades of Blue Paradise hits with Siren, they will want to snap this up! :)

Helen Scott Taylor said...

Interesting to see all your entries, Savanna. I love the idea of a chihuahua shapeshifter--original. In fact the whole story sounds original with the blending of the different time periods.

Thanks for posting!

Savanna Kougar said...

Mel, thanks. Glad your back with us. Missed you.
Holli, have you ever thought of using and exploring your connection to that place in France for a novel? Could be a great story in the making.
Anitra, thanks! I'm so excited for you. Yeah, I had to put all that life experience into something.
Helen, that shapeshifter chihuahua sure made himself known in my imagination. What better dececption than a cute shivering chihuahua to get into someone's home?
A personal thank you note. Thanks, Title Magicians, for the support.

Mai Christy Thao said...

Hi Savanna,

Love the dialogue! Keeps the pace moving fast.

And boy, I must really be out of it. Anitra got THE CALL??!! Yay!!!!

Savanna Kougar said...

Thank you, Mai! Isn't this exciting, all of us 'rising' toward our Callings.