Friday, September 26, 2008

Romance and Harleys


I'm delighted to welcome Angie Fox to Title Magic to tell us a little about the fun she had doing reasearch for her debut book The Accidental Demon Slayer--now a New York Times Bestseller!

I received a fun reader email the other day from a Harley biker who wanted to ask me a “very important question.”

Do you know your book is in the romance section?

As if Harley riding biker witches and romance are mutually exclusive. In fact, I think everyone should read (and experience) romance in their lives. It’s fun. It makes you feel good. Come to think of it, that’s kind of what it’s like to ride a Harley.

Not that I know a lot about bikes, but I did have to learn my share in order to write The Accidental Demon Slayer. When I decided to write a book about a preschool teacher forced to hit the road with a gang of geriatric biker witches, research took on a whole new meaning. At one point, I found myself on the back of a coal black Harley, behind a guy named Stone, with my helmet on backwards and an Irish Setter in tow. The dog’s name was Frankie and I can tell you right now, Frankie knew a lot more about motorcycles than I did.


But I survived the bikes, even if they made me walk like John Wayne. I learned a ton at biker rallies (note to self: don’t wear pink) and I risked life and limb (at least in my mind) to get my facts right. Plus, since I have a Harley riding dog in my book, I met some of the cutest biker dogs you’ve ever seen.


The book was a kick to research, and to write. And to continue the fun, I’ve developed a highly un-scientific What’s Your Biker Witch Name? quiz. Post your biker witch name below and enter to win a copy of The Accidental Demon Slayer.

To find out your Biker Witch name, check out Angie's website, then come back and tell us.

24 comments:

Helen Scott Taylor said...

Hi Angie, congratulations again on the fabulous success of your debut novel. Every author's dream must be to hit the NY Times bestseller list with the first book, so you give us all hope. :)

Sounds as if you had a lot of fun researching the novel. Wonderful pixs of the dogs.

My Biker Witch name is Skullcap Sue Pothole Jumper. I have to say I don't usually jump potholes, I bump down in them, but then I'm usually in a four-wheel-drive.

Entertaining blog. Thank you so much!

Angie Fox said...

Thanks for having me. The Accidental Demon Slayer was a blast to research, and write.

And glad you're able to do some pothole jumping. Always a good time. :)

Angie

Mel Hiers said...

Welcome, Angie! Your biker name generator is addictive. I now have three library clerks behind me filling in names and giggling. :-P

I ended up being Linda the Lush Windy Pants! :-D

Lexie O'Neill said...

Angie,
I did the name thing, too, and I ended up with the last name "butt." Think I'll try again...
Seriously, thank you so much for the blog! This looks like a book I can read--correct me if I'm wrong:) but is there some humor? I've just stopped reading a dark series, and it made me feel, well, dark. I definitely prefer the light...
Congrats on your success!
Lexie

Tarot By Arwen said...

Candy Knickers No Pants, that's me. Yeah, I'm the sweet one who likes to pull on a pair of rhumba panties sans pants. But hey! I do put on my helmet and leathers. Can't have road rash on my sweet skin, now can I?

Nancy said...

I'm Hog Wild Harriet Fast Pants, and grinning wide!

Great post Angie! I'm utterly thrilled that your debut hit the NYT list, and may this be only the first of many more to hit those heights!!

Light,
Nancy, aka HWHFP
La Vida Vampire

Angie Fox said...

Hi Mel, or shall I call you Linda the Lush? Glad you're enjoying the name generator. I had a ball coming up with that.

Blame the biker witches. :)

Angie Fox said...

Thanks, Lexie. This definitely is a lighter series. And you can always pick a new biker witch last name, although I should warn you that you could end up with Windy Pants, or No Pants at all.

Angie Fox said...

Hey Candy Knickers, I mean Arwen - of course you need those leathers. As one of the biker witches said, "Life on the road can chafe your thighs."

Anonymous said...

My biker witch name is Easy Edna No Pants. That's so close to true it's scary. Just kidding.

"If we are what we eat, I'm fast, cheap and easy." - bumper sticker

Pat

Angie Fox said...

Thanks, Nancy. Yeah, what a fun surprise when The Accidental Demon Slayer hit the NY Times list. Who would have thought the biker witches could go that far? Then again, they are a determined bunch. :)

Angie Fox said...

LOL Pat. I like that philosophy.

Anonymous said...

Hey Angie!

Just wanted to say hi, and tell everyone what a fun book it is.

Waves!

Jess

Savanna Kougar said...

Angie, thanks for such a fun blog. Congrats on hitting the NY list! I've been on a couple of motorcycles, but never had the Harley experience...yet, and darn it!
Yep, it's truly me! My secret, now, not secret identity. It's ta-da!
Pretzel Legged Peggy Hard Rider ~
Hey, is this new title for your latest book?
BLAME THE BIKER WITCHES

Teresa Bodwell said...

Hmm. Skullcap Sue Lug Nut.

I like the Lug Nut part. I just may have to do a legal name change. I don't think my husband will mind.

Anonymous said...

My biker chick name would have to be Muffler Bitch...I was on the back of a bike (not a Harley, but a dirt bike) and the muffler left it's mark...that was 35 years ago...I still have the scar!

Great blog, Angie!

Vicki said...

Hey Angie, I'm popping over from the FTHRW loop thanks to Helen. But don't add me in the contest, I've got and read the book.

Whoever wins is in for a great read. I loved the book and thought I would die when Priate was...well, I won't say anymore, no spoilers, but trust me the book is fabulous. If you haven't read it and are the lucky winner, go get it quick.

Angie Fox said...

Hey Jess! You should know Jess is biased - she's my critique partner and an amazing writer. Her first, Beyond the Rain, is coming from Berkley in August. Go Jess!

Angie Fox said...

Hey Pretzel Legs! I mean, Savanna. Great title idea. The second book is The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers because my heroine is convinced if she could just learn all there is to know abou her new powers, THEN life will be easier. Ha! Little does she know...

Angie Fox said...

Hey Teresa Lug Nut - that has a nice ring to it. We could holler that across the Hairy Hog biker bar for sure.

Angie Fox said...

Thanks, Tessy - and yow. I would not want to get near a hot bike muffler. I felt one of my boots heat up when I got too close to the engine thingy (a technical term) on the side of the bike.

Oh and when I called one of the bikers and asked if there was any possible way he could help me figure out how I could please, please have my heroine jump on a bike and ride for just a bit without shoes, he laughed. Hard.

Angie Fox said...

Awwww...thanks, Vicki! And Pirate says that whatever part you thought was so funny - he meant to do that.

Savanna Kougar said...

Angie, luv that title too ~ The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers ~ and, of course, the premise is wonderful.

Angie Fox said...

Thanks. I'm having a ball with this series.