Thursday, November 10, 2011

Today's Topic Is ...


You got me. I think I’ll just ramble for a couple of hundred words. There’s bound to be something useful in there somewhere.

Last week I e-subbed a novel. Now I’m waiting to hear back. I know I’m supposed to be working on my next book, but this publisher has a quick turnaround and I figure I’ll hear something shortly. This is one of my hang-ups as a writer. Not only can I only work on one story at a time, once I send something out I’m tempted to sit back and see how things turn out. That’s fine when the wait time is only a week or two, but I’ve had stories out at places that held them for close to two years. Am I supposed to stop writing for two years? Tempting thought, but no. Looks like I just went back to work.

The anthology with the horror story I wrote as “Gerald S. Parker” may be back on. They think they've found another publisher. The drawback in this case is the antho was pay on publication. I don’t see a penny unless and until the book actually comes out. That happens a lot with smaller magazines. Moral: aim for the “pay on acceptance” markets first. That way if something like this happens, you still have cash in your wallet. Still want to be a writer?

Assuming the book I sent out is accepted, I’ll then have to deal with the edits. The book clocked in at 86,600 words. Gahhh! What was I thinking? I still feel the last several chapters were rushed because I knew the thing was running long and tried to wrap it up in a hurry. Let’s see what the editor says. I know you’re supposed to let the book run as long as it needs to, and length doesn’t make that much difference in e-publishing, but c’mon. There needs to be a limit. Oh, and that word count was even longer in draft. I found myself cutting lines and whole paragraphs when I did the final type-through. One chapter got eviscerated by at least a third. And it STILL came out to 86K+. That’s it. My next project will be a novella. No more War and Peace.

In fact, I could probably benefit from limitations. Discipline and I have only a nodding acquaintance, which is why it takes me so long to write stuff. I work much better with set deadlines. Not the deadlines I set for myself either, because I just ignore those. It’s not like there are any consequences beyond not earning any money. I should talk with the publisher and have her set specific deadlines for me. Then I know things will get done by such-and-such a date, because if they don’t I won’t get paid. Last month I wrote a story on assignment (different genre) and got it out two days before deadline. I had a month and a half to write 6000 words and I waited until the last minute. I used to write my term papers the night before class, too. The point is, they got done within a specific time frame because I had a deadline. Maybe I should hire somebody to set deadlines for me so I get more writing done in a timely manner. If I miss deadline, I pay that person $100. That ought to speed me up. Any takers?

As for the length problem, I’ve been toying with an idea for Harlequin’s Nocturne Cravings. They have a specific word limit. If they had a deadline, I’d be set.

And lookie here, I wrote a blog, and by deadline, too. Maybe next week I’ll talk about ways to find the discipline to write and not just veg out in front of the TV. Hey, that’s not a bad idea. Why not, I’ve got a week …

3 comments:

Savanna Kougar said...

Oh, Pat... yeah, I'll be your deadline setter... only, it won't work because I'll likely let you slide.

Self discipline has never been my problem as far as writing. Too complex plots and that silliness called perfection work against me.

Not to mention life interruptous, and stupid health problems.

Pat C. said...

Nah, I'm just lazy. Maybe I find writing intimidating. I can find so many other things to do it's scary. Like housework or grocery shopping, or hanging out at the library. Since none of that puts food on the table or cash in the wallet, I'd better just get over it and get my butt to work.

Dang, I was thinking about blogging on that topic next week. I think I just did it right here.

Savanna Kougar said...

lol... you can always expand on the topic...